It has been awhile since the last post. I was distracted, by the sudden urge to sew, hence distracted by visits to the fabric store and to buy a sewing machine… I have wanted a sewing machine for awhile and am finally answering to my urge:-)
Last week, my husband came back from a long trip so I thought I would surprise him with some simple items. First, I made a kurbiskuchen (pumpkin pound cake, with rum raisins!!) which he loves – following a recipe on Marimo Cafe. I love this recipe, so simple, and the cake is so juicy. Marimo-chan, the girl behind Marimo Cafe has many great recipes which I love. Here is the recipe translated into English:
Ingredients (for 15cm square pan or 18 cm pound cake loaf)
- 80g butter (room temperature)
- 80g raw sugar
- 2 eggs (room temperature)
- 15g maple syrup (if n/a then use honey)
- 80g flour, sifted three times
- 120g steamed and mashed kabocha pumpkin
- 30g rum raisin (make your own by soaking raisins in rum for at least one day – I keep a constant supply in a jar in my fridge:-)
- Line pan with baking paper. Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
- Cream butter with sugar until fluffy
- Beat eggs, add over several times into butter and sugar mixture.
- Add mashed pumpkin and maple syrup and mix well.
- Fold flour and rum raisins carefully into mixture with a spatula just until flour is barely mixed into the butter mixture. Be careful not to over mix or else cake will be flat!
- Bake at 180 degrees for 35 minutes. Test the middle of cake with a toothpick to check whether it is done
The second surprise for hubby is “welcome home” mikans!
Actually, I bought the mikans (mandarins) for eating, but suddenly had an idea to make a welcome home message with washi tape.
It is still on our table by the door:)
旦那に二つサプライズを作りました！かぼちゃのケーキとメッセージみかんです♪ ケーキはMarimo Cafeのレシピを使って作りました！まりもさんのレシピは何度もリピートしてます☆本当なのおいしいです 。みかんとMTテープでwelcome homeのメッセージサインも作りました(^_^) かわいいでしょう♪ しばらく玄関のテーブルで飾りました。