la Belladone… Enfin!

Finally, I am happy to share my first wearable project in a loooong time, the Belladone! This is the project I described as a failure in a previous post and which I abandoned in my closet and forgot about. After some failed projects and really wanting a new handmade piece to wear I was so excited when I found this almost-finished piece in the depth of my closet. I finally redid the zipper so that it is very close to edge of the seam allowance to widen the dress, and voila!:-)

belladone3

belladone2

belladone1

This is made using the Belladone pattern from Deer and Doe which I was excited about since it first launched!  The silhouette is so classic.  I decided to make it using grey Japanese “double gauze” fabric – it is extremely comfy! It was slightly see-through so I lined it with some bright pink lining chosen by hubby. I made some bias tape (this project required quite a bit of bias tape) using the Liberty fabric left over from my sudoku dress project – and decided to use the bias tape as a facing rather than as a decorative trim because I wanted a simple dress. So here you have it, a Belladone which is quite plain on the outside but fun and colourful on the inside!

belladone6 belladone4belladone7

In terms of sizing, it was my first time to work with a D&D pattern and I found the sizing smaller than Burdastyle which I was used to working with. I had to go one size up for the waist and also had to add 1 cm in width to the rest of the pattern. As well, I moved the bust darts down and added length to the bodice at the armcysts and also at the waist. I think because of all these changes, the opening at the back was not as perfect a fit as it should have been but it is still not bad. I definitely want to make this dress again in another perhaps crisper fabric. This time I sewed an invisible zipper and by habit left too much room from the top – adding a small hook to close the top somewhat remedied this problem but next time I must remember to sew the zipper all the way to the top!

belladone5

quick facts:
pattern: Belladone (Deer and Doe Patterns)
fabric: Japanese cotton double gauze
adjustments to pattern:added bodice length at armcysts level and at waist, and moved bust darts down. Also added 1.0 cm widthwise by minimizing seam allowance at back zipper but next time I need to add this into the pattern.

Have you had any “treasure-find” (finding abandoned and forgotten projects in your closet) experiences lately?

にほんブログ村 ハンドメイドブログ ソーイング(縫い物)へ
にほんブログ村
にほんブログ村 ハンドメイドブログ 洋服(洋裁)へ
にほんブログ村

13 thoughts on “la Belladone… Enfin!

  1. Hi – gorgeous dress! Did you narrow the shoulders at all (if so, can you describe what you did)? I’m considering making the Belladone, but my shoulders are on the smaller side to begin with and I think the pattern without alteration might be overwhelming on me.

    1. Hi Meghan, thank you for your comment! I started with size XS and enlarge at the waist- the XS sizing at the shoulder worked without any alterations for me. I hope this helps, and wish you good luck on your dress!:-)
      Karen

  2. Can you give more detail how you lined the dress, especially the back pieces? I can’t work out how to do it, so I hope you can help me🙂

    1. Hi Juls, it was awhile ago and I don’t remember exactly how I did it, but in looking at the garment now, I think I did the following:

      1) top back pieces – sew the lining and fabric together right sides facing along seam allowance of longest edge (the straight edge). Turn over and top stitch close to the edge.

      2) Make the whole front and back (except for the pcs in 1) but don’t stitch shoulders together yet. Then sew the straight edges of the bottom back bodice with the corresponding lining edge by sewing with right sides facing and turning around then top stitching (as in 1)

      3) Once you prepare 1) and 2), stitch the shoulder lining of the top pieces (1) layered with the bottom back bodice piece including lining (2) with the lining of the shoulder of the front bodice, right sides facing. The shoulders of the main fabric is sewn together as well but separately. You want the lining shoulder seams to be sandwiched with the main fabric shoulder seams so that it looks clean from on both the outside and the inside.

      4) with all the other edges along the neckline and sleeves, the lining is treated as an underlining and bias tape is later sewn on top to hide the raw edges.

      Sorry the explanation is probably quite confusing.. but I hope you will understand! if you need further explanation pls let me know:-)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s